Wednesday, June 20, 2012
American Express, Yard Sale Chic
Folks, the weather's heating up and summer's here! And you know what that means, right? Yard sales. Yesss! I Like having them and going to them. They're even better than thrift stores because there's lots of negotiating room. Plus it's just plain ol' fun to socialize with people you may not otherwise.
Here I am at my favorite blue wall, with my favorite yard sale-ing dress, and my new favorite carry all, a vintage American Express bag. I got it a couple weeks back at....you guessed it, a yard sale. I didn't have to pull out an American Express card to buy it either, just 50 cents. I mostly plan on using it for groceries, the farmers market and who knows, maybe an overnight trip.
As the weekend approaches, I hope you get a chance to stop by a sale or two, you never know what you might find.
These are my top 10 yard sale tips:
1. The early bird gets the worm!
2. Leave your luxury car at home.
3. Don't be afraid to dig - that's how you find the good stuff.
4. Wear comfy clothes.
5. Try to have exact change or small bills.
6. Make a pile of items and decide ahead of time what you're willing to pay for the whole lot, that way you can negotiate a better price.
7...but if the price seems fair, just pay it.
8. Check DVD's, CD's, to make sure the contents match the cover. Check zippers and buttons on clothes, ask to plug in electronics.
9. If you buy a large item and have to leave it for pick up later, take a piece of it with you, such as a drawer from a dresser, or railing from a bed, that way it'll be incomplete and harder to sell to another person in your absence.
10. Leave your American Express card (not bag) at home. You wont need it!